I know that the "Sarcastic British Host" has become a staple of faux-intellecutalism here it the States: "American Idol", "The Weakest Link," etc.
But I think Piers Morgan has taken it it a step (or leap) back from witty sarcasm to simple verbal bludgeoning.
So many of the "Liberal" mindset look to Europe for inspiration: there's a strong Europhile tendency in liberalism.
Let's admit it: there's a lot to like in Europe. I've lived in Austria and Southern Germany. I think Salzburg is the most beautiful city on earth. The Oberammergau region is stunning. I love the people, the food, the ambiance. If you've been to Europe, you've got a place like that yourself.
But Piers Morgan?
When I watch Piers Morgan, I'm more inclined to think of the CSPAN coverage of the British House of Commons: full of "Boos" and raspberries. It looks like a parody of government, not government itself.
Now, I know that our own houses of representation have had their own share of poor behavior (something about a cane beating before the Civil War comes to mind...), but I think overall we've had, for the most part, a pretty good run of civil difference. Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill are a good example.
But it seems that, with the onset of militant liberalism/progressivism in the past twenty years, we've lost that. Difference has become discord has become antipathy.
And that scares me. There's no room for debate in a world ruled by absolutes.
If Piers Morgan, with his name-calling, abuse, and lack of ability to listen to an opposing view point is the future of our country... if that's what a "Liberal" future looks like... you can keep it!
And, Piers... if you don't like American gun laws (or any other law), we're not making you stay.
No comments:
Post a Comment